Thursday, June 16, 2011

Why They Aren't Dating

One of D1's two best friends is a boy, and about once a week I hear the comment, "Oh, they are so cute together.  They'll probably get married one day."  Even his dad was caught this afternoon saying, "Well, why don't you just marry the girl?"

If this were the middle ages, that might have been true.  His parents and I went to college together.  The kids have grown up together and have very similar qualities, likes, dislikes.  He wants to be a pastor, and to be honest, she'd make a very good vicar's wife, and they would live very comfortably together because they are best friends.

Still, there is no way they will ever get married. #1: They were in diapers together.  #2: They are both exactly the same: two very smart, very opinionated, very serious, very nonconfrontational people. #3: They have different goals.  He wants to stay here to help care for his very large family, and she wants to travel to care for the world at large.

It always amazes me when people say this.  I looked at the boy's father today and laughed.  "You've got to be kidding me!"  I love the boy as if he were my own son, but what mother wants her son to marry her daughter?

No comments:

Post a Comment